Jun 29, 2012

Lumpkins on Brantly

Peter Lumpkins, a Southern Baptist who opposes Calvinism, has cited W. T. Brantly Sr. to show that Brantly was one early leader of Southern Baptists who did not believe in effectual calling or irresistible grace.  (see here

I left a comment which has not yet been approved by Lumpkins to be published.  That comment pointed to these words of Brantly from the same citation given by Lumpkins. 

Brantly said:

"That the Holy Spirit does exert a greater influence upon some minds than upon others within the pale of the same visible administration of means; and that this greater influence must account for the conversion of some, whilst others remain unconverted, is what I fully believe."

Why has Lumpkins declined to publish my comment and observation?  I cited this and said that it appeared, from this part of the citation, that Brantly did not accept the Arminian explanation of things.

5 comments:

peter lumpkins said...

One reason may be, Stephen, is that I didn't know your comment was even posted. I'll check in the spam bucket to see if it is there.

Look, we're grown men for cryin out loud. Why not just ask instead of presuming I had some questionable reason for not posting a comment you may have left?

With that, I am...
Peter

peter lumpkins said...

By the way,

It took me three times to get the comment above to post on you site, the first one of which was completely lost! I've learned to copy my comment to the clip board before I press "publish" for that very reason.

Yours could have been the same, Stephen. Even so, I'll check the spam bucket. If it's there I'll post it immediately.

With that, I am...
Peter

peter lumpkins said...

Stephen,

There is no comment in the spam bucket. Nor did I receive an email alerting me to your comment had your comment been posted (I *always* get emails when comments are posted on my site. I *never* get comments when a comment goes to the spam bucket which is why I checked the bucket.). So my guess is you lost your comment when you pushed "publish" similarly to my losing the comment I mentioned above.

Even so, Stephen, if you care to post it again, be my guest. For the life of me, however, I haven't a clue what your intention is by doing so. All you did was pull a line from a Brantly quote I offered in the post without even commenting upon it. Leaving aside why I would even want to hide a comment like that, what your intention of it is I have not the faintest clue.

With that, I am...
Peter

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Peter:

Thanks for the clarification.

Blessings,

Stephen

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Peter:

My comment was:

"...Brantly did not accept the Arminian explanation of things."

Blessings,

Stephen