Aug 2, 2020

On Forgiveness

"But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matt. 6: 15 KJV)

In counseling a Christian recently about forgiving a brother who is repenting of his sins, I had this Christian say to me:

"I forgive him but don't want anything to do with him."

"I forgive but I don't have amnesia" (about the sins).

In response to these remarks I said or asked:

1. If you don't forgive, you will not be forgiven.
2. Is that the kind of forgiveness God shows towards you?
3. He forgives but doesn't want anything to do with you?
4. God does have amnesia in regard to my sins! He forgets them!

This Christian had so much hate towards the sinning brother! Yes, the brother did do wrong. But, God is giving him grief over it, and he is contrite and sorry and wants both forgiveness and a restoration of love. Should we say "I forgive you but don't want anything to do with you?"

I came away from this counseling and communication with this thought: This person, though a Christian, seems to know nothing about the gospel and its teaching on forgiveness. That was a shocking and disturbing revelation.

What think ye?

No comments: