Jun 18, 2020

Spurgeon On Christian Conversation

"They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy power."- Psa 145:11

On this verse Spurgeon in a sermon said (here - emphasis mine):

"I consider that one of the great lacks of the Church, nowadays, is not so much Christian preaching as Christian talking, -not so much Christian prayer in the prayer-meeting, as Christian conversation in the parlour. How little do we hear concerning Christ! You might go in and out of the houses of half the professors of religion, and you would never hear of their Master at all. You might talk with them from the first of January to the last of December; and if they happened to mention their Master's name, it would be, perhaps, merely as a compliment to him, or possibly by accident. Beloved, such things ought not to be. You and I, I am sure, are guilty in this matter; we all have need to reproach ourselves that we do not sufficiently remember the words of Malachi, "Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.""

My own experience over the past 50 years tells me that what Spurgeon said here is absolutely true. It saddens me much. On the other hand, I have generally been unlike the average Christian in this regard. I talk all the time about the bible and its teaching. I try all the time to introduce it into discussions, even casual ones. This has often made me quite unpopular as a guest as many do not want to talk about God and religion in social gatherings. Those who want to have social group activities, such as cookouts, do not want to talk about God. It is judged to be out of place. Many family get togethers often are designed to be fun and enjoyable and discussion about religious ideas are not wanted.

Spurgeon continued:

"Possibly some will ask, "Well, sir, how can we talk about religion? Upon what topic shall we converse? How are we to introduce it? It would not be polite, for instance, in the company with which we associate, to begin to say anything about the doctrines of grace, or about religious matters at all." Then, beloved, do not be polite; that is all I have to say in reply to such a remark as that. If it would be accounted contrary to etiquette to begin talking of the Saviour, cast etiquette to the winds, and speak about Christ somehow or other."

Well, that is exactly my thinking. People know that if they come to my house they are very likely to hear something about God and his teaching. I can do no better than to give a hearty "amen" to what father Spurgeon taught.

Spurgeon continued:

"Another says, "What could I speak of? There are so few topics that would be suitable. I must not speak upon doctrinal subjects, for it would offend one of the party. They might hold different views; one might be a Wesleyan, one might be a Baptist, one might be an Independent, one a Calvinist, one an Arminian;-how could I talk so as to please all? If I spoke of election, most of them would attack me at once; if I began to speak of redemption, we should soon differ on that subject, and I would not like to engender controversy." Beloved, engender controversy rather than have wrong conversation; better dispute over truth than agree about lies. Better, I say, is it to dispute concerning good doctrine, far more profitable is it to talk of the Word of God, even in a controversial manner, than to turn utterly away from it, and neglect it."

Well, amen to that! Would to God more shared this opinion.

Spurgeon continued:

"But, let me tell you, there is one point on which all Christians agree, and that is concerning the person, the work, and the blessed offices of our Saviour. Go where you will, professors, if they are genuine Christians, will always agree with you if you begin to talk about your Saviour; so you need not be afraid that you will provoke controversy; but supposing the mention of your Saviour's name does provoke dispute, then let it be provoked. And if your Master's truth offends the gentlemen to whom you speak of it let them be offended. His name we must confess; of his glory we will continually talk, for it is written in our text, "They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy power.""

God help us to keep the Lord in our daily walk and talk!

Remember these words -

"And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." (Deut. 6: 6-7)

"Talk ye of all his wondrous works"! (I Chron. 16:9; Psa. 105: 2)

No comments: