Aug 8, 2006

Letter To Brother Bob Ross

Here are some excerpts of an e-mail I have sent to Brother Ross of Pilgrim Publications. He has published several chapters of his well written book, "The History and Heresies of Hardshellism." They are available on the web at the Calvinistflyswatter.blogspot.com.

I publish these parts to let all know some of what I intend to publish soon in future chapters.

Dear Brother Ross:

I hope this correspondence finds you well. I give God praise for you and for your gift in the Church of Christ.

I have been collecting volumes of information from sources relative to the Hardshells, their history and beliefs. I am gaining even more insight into things than ever before. I think you will especially enjoy some future chapters I will have on the Hardshell "founding fathers," including Parker, Lawrence, Trott, and Wilson Thompson. I am also contemplating dividing up the Hardshell leading ministers (debaters and spokesmen) into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations and try to show progession (or digression) in their thinking over time. I do believe that the Hardshells have been forced over time to hone their views on things, inventing new ideas and concepts, new jargon, that the 1st generation Hardshells would not accept.

Dad and I have had some really heated discussions. He is upset with me for publishing this book. He is the main reason why I did not complete this work years ago. But, I know now is the time to complete it. Dad may outlive me, who knows but our God?

I would love to debate a leading Hardshell on this topic. I would not debate any of their unlearned and ignorant ones. But, this book will so thoroughly, together with your writings, overthrow all their heresies that they probably won't want to touch us with a "ten foot pole."

I can show how the Hardshells are liars, falsifiers, slanderers (as the great J.M. Peck demonstrated in his day). I will show how the Hardshells, like their twin, the Campbellites, have a "mastermind" and "master spirit," group characteristics and group thinking. I believe that both groups bear resemblance to their parents in striking ways.

The two chapters I have written thus far on the Hardshell understanding on "faith" was laborious. I feel I have not adequately addressed that issue yet. So, I am contemplating how to incorporate what I yet want to add on the subject of faith into another chapter later.

The way things are going, I contemplate at least 30 chapters when it is done. I have most chapters in work. Some days I work on one chapter and then on another. The next chapter will be on "repentance" and giving the Hardshell views on that subject, and of course, showing all their absurdities and contradictions thereon. (God, I am so glad to be liberated from that cult! The Lord had mercy upon me)

I believe that Wilson Thompson probably imbibed the "Spirit Alone" view and the "Direct Voice" idea, at least in its germ form, just prior to Beebe. I am sure that many "Hyper-Calvinists" of the times "got their heads together" to formulate a "way of getting around" those verses that teach means in regeneration. I also believe that Wilson Thompson was mentally unbalanced. His storied experienced (from his autobiography) about how he lost his "missionary zeal" deserves a whole chapter (probaby where I will include that article on Bradley being delivered from the burden of soul winning). It is quite revealing.

What did you think about my citation from Beebe where he held to the idea that there are three separate and distinct phases of the new birth? That was a "compromise view" he held, I believe, for awhile, in the genesis of the debate over what the confessions taught on means.

I am also going to have a separate chapter on the debates the Hardshells, like Potter had with Pence, held with the Calvinistic Missionary Baptists in the 1800's. In this debate, Pence brings up the confessions and Dr. Gill. Potter left them alone! He tried to leave the impression that they were with him, but no real argument was given to refute Pence that the so-call Old School were really not Old School. I am trying to find copies of some of these old debates. I would love to find some historical records also of the three debates on Missions that Peck held with Parker.

The chapter I will have on "Hardshells and Universalism" will also be quite interesting. Hardshells have had a history of churches and ministers leaving the Hardshells to become "No-Hellers" and "Universalists."

I do hope I can finish all these chapters in the ensuing weeks and then try to re-edit and then look at publishing into book form.

As always, I appreciate your work in fighting Hyper-Calvinism and Hardshellism and against those who want to try to say that there is such a creature as a "regenerated unbeliever."

Steve Garrett

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Steve, you are indeed a slayer of "Hardshells" if nowhere else but in your own mind. I am not a fan of labels and especially when they are applied as epithets and not for the edification of the brethren. Your exposure to "hardshells" seems to be limited to those who are often called "conditionalists" by those who have a more "absolute" view of GOD's purpose. This conditional teaching has almost been the death knell of Primitive Baptists as to their historical theology and has probably done more to confuse the issues that you raise than any other error that ever crept in among them. Though Bradley and Gowens are indeed spokesmen for large numbers of those who call themselves Primitive Baptists (which you lovingly refer to as Hardshells) I can assure you that they do not speak for the historical position of the Primitive Baptists in general. Like all denominations, the PB's have strayed from their moorings but their errors are no greater than those of the great "missionary" endeavors. I am not formally associated with the PB's but have a great deal of respect for many who have walked in faith among them and have ably contended for truth when others have been swept away in the religious practices of the world. I would not at this time comment on your "theological" leanings but would point out that your arrogant attitude is exactly the spirit that brought about the division among the "hardshells" and the "missionarys" to start with. You boast of desiring to debate "a leading Hardshell" rather than some of the "ignorant and unlearned" ones. It is interesting that you use this choice of words since it was used to describe some of the apostles. It is a very common mistake that is often made by the "learned" that the things of GOD can be understood by such "learning". The Pharisees were quite convinced and satisfied in their "learning" but nonetheless were bankrupt of spiritual understanding. You boast that "they probably wouldn't want to touch us with a ten foot pole" and in this you are probably correct. To answer a fool in his folly is generally a waste of time. I hope that you will examine your attitude as closely as you do your great "theological learning." I remain one of the ignorant and unlearned, a sinner in search of that better country through the merits of CHRIST alone, mike mcinnis. ratmotor@alltel.net