Sep 24, 2009

"Broken" or "Given"?

"And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me." (Luke 22: 19 KJV)

"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me." (I Cor. 11: 24)

Did Paul quote Jesus accurately when he used (in the Textus Receptus) the word "broken" instead of "given"?

A. T. Robertson wrote:

"Klwmenon (broken) of the Textus Receptus (King James Version) is clearly not genuine. Luke (Luke 22:19) has didomenon (given) which is the real idea here. As a matter of fact the body of Jesus was not broken (John 19:36). The bread was broken, but not the body of Jesus." (Word Pictures)

What can those who think the "Textus Receptus" is inspired do with this discrepancy?

No comments: