Nov 11, 2009

Debate Review I

I was totally surprised by my opponent's lack of proof texts in support of his proposition (that many of those who have been saved lose their salvation). I have debated this topic with Campbellites many times and one can count on them introducing the standard proof texts on the subject. John did not bring forth the standard scripture passages to prove his affirmative. In fact, he only brought forth only six passages! He dwelt mainly on II Peter chapter two, verses 20-22 about the apostates whom Peter compared to pigs and dogs. The other passage he gave some time to was Hebrews 10: 26-29. He mentioned Hebrews 3: 12, Hebrews 6: 6, and I Corinthians 9: 24-27, and the passage concerning Judas in John 17: 12. He did not give much attention to any of the passages except for II Peter 2 and Hebrews 10.

I was prepared to deal with John 15: 1-6, Galatians 5: 4, Revelation 3: 5 & 22: 19, Romans 8: 13, and other passages, but John never introduced them. This was a big surprise. I cannot imagine one debating his position without these passages. This lack of affirmative proof texts made my job much easier. It gave me opportunity in the negative to introduce counter arguments.

When John was in the negative, he never addressed a single argument I presented. Rather, he spent all his negative speeches trying to repair the damage done from his first night affirmative. Again, I was shocked that a debater, in the negative, never addressed any of my arguments but simply wanted to go back and repair his first night's perfomance.

Surely his brethren must be very disappointed in his effort.

I say this not out of ill will for John personally. Those of you who will order videos or listen to the debate on the internet will be able to judge for yourselves relative to my review of it.

No comments: