Apr 11, 2008

Update On Writings

Like my friend brother Bob Ross of Pilgrim Publications, and the "Calvinist Flyswatter" (http://www.calvinistflyswatter.blogspot.com/) I too am spending some time at the present watching the Master's golf tournament. For this reason, among others, I am a little behind in my regular writing.

I have spent the past 10 months working of a book called "My Daily Bread" (see link on this page). I began this work in June of last year and am within two months of finishing one year. This has been an exhaustive work and has kept me from completing sections of my book on the "Hardshell Baptist Cult."

The book "My Daily Bread" will be of use to 1) Bible or Sunday School class teachers, and 2) as a daily bible study guide and devotional for serious bible students, and 3) as aids to preachers in sermon development.

It is my intention after one year has been completed (end of June) to work on editing and formatting the book for possible publication by the end of the year.

I also have several other books that I feel burdened to write and I do hope and pray that the Lord will give me the time and means to not only get these present books written and published, but also to get on with the other books that I feel burdened to write.

So, I covet the prayers of all those who read this and my other blog sites.

I want to also in this entry relate a couple things relative to my experience in coming to see the errors of the Hardshells, especially relative to their errors on the new birth.

In the early 1980's, when I finally repented of the errors of Hardshellism, I contacted two people among the Missionary (yet Calvinistic) Baptists and with whom I had previous encounters.

During the late 70's I almost had a debate arranged with Elder Joe Wilson of Calvary Baptist Church in Ashland, Kentucky, the church where brother Ross was a member in the 60's, and a church that sponsored the publication of the paper "The Baptist Examiner," formerly edited by brother Ross and John Gilpen (before brother Wilson became editor). Brother Wilson had called "Primitive Baptists" heretics in that paper in regard to their view of regeneration without the word as a means and I had responded with an invitation for him to debate the topic. The debate never materialized and I am glad it did not.

It was just a few years later, after seeing the truth of means, that I contacted and visited brother Wilson in Ashland and apologized to him and asked his forgiveness. I have always felt glad for having done so.

About the same time, I also contacted brother Ross in Pasadena, Texas by phone. I had only faint memories of brother Ross from the early 60's when dad and our family visited brother Ross in Ashland (where dad and mom had become members temporarily). I remembered how dad took me with him as he and brother Ross went to play a round of golf! For some odd reason, even though I was perhaps only about 8 years old, I recalled being on the golf course with him and dad!

I had also come to know of brother Ross from his various writings. I consider brother Ross to be one of the ablest Baptist theologians living today. Others may have their "Phd's" and other "letters," but none know more than brother Ross, in my opinion, as respects soundness of doctrine, and of Baptist principles. He is certainly a man to be emulated in many things.

I commend brother Ross for his balanced views of things. I think brother Ross truly has the spirit of Charles Spurgeon. If Charles were here today, I have no doubt that he would be highly recommending brother Ross.

After I contacted brother Ross and told him of my conversion from Hardshellism we began a friendship that has lasted till this day and for which I am truly thankful. He is a great teacher in the church of Christ.

Brother Ross and I began to collaborate on writing against the historical and doctrinal errors of the Hardshells. In the early 90's we made a video together concerning the errors of Hardshellism. Since then brother Ross has written a book himself called "The History and Heresies of Hardshellism" and I highly recommend it.

I did not begin my work on the Hardshell book in the 90's however. I really did not feel led to do so until just a couple years ago. Since then I have felt a passion to get this work completed. I know that it is a long exhaustive book already, but when completed it will be (hopefully) a book that will document much historical information on the Hardshells and will be a means to help others either come out of Hardshellism or be kept from it.

I do hope to complete my series soon on "The Great Commission" and go on to other important topics that also need to be addressed. I already have many chapters prepared and planned for the completion of this book and I trust the good Lord will allow me to finish them.

I want to thank all those who have been reading and for all the comments, private emails, and other communication from Hardshells, and former Hardshells, and of others who are interested in this cult.

I have come to discover that there are elements of Hardshellism and Hyper Calvinism now being promulgated by some in the "Reformed Baptist" camp, men such as James White, and some connected with the "Founder's Movement." So, this work will hopefully be of benefit to people who are not formally Hardshells, but who nevertheless are mighty close to being so.

So, hopefully, in the coming months I will be getting near to completing these first two books of mine. I do hope that they will be of benefit to the body of Christ. Stay tuned and if you have a comment to leave, please feel free to do so.

In closing, let me say that my challenge to debate the Hardshells still stands. But, at this point, I really do not expect any to take up the challenge. When anyone of them takes a close look at what I have written in this book, they will no doubt not want to do anything but "tuck the tail in and run"! Just like James White and others in the "Reformed camp" have not wanted to debate brother Ross on their error of born again before and without faith.

No comments: